Thursday, December 8, 2011

Down the memory Lane: Sia is a fighter!


Today when I watched the episode of Humse Hai Liife, it took me back to my Table Tennis days. 

Those were the days when I couldn't sleep beyond 4 AM and hence would be up for a 6 AM pratice. I would start with my regime right from home mentally. The fitness, the shadow practice the actual practise in the court and finally getting geared up for tournaments- all of them came back to me in a flash and turned me emotional all of a sudden! Thats the reason why I chose to share my experience with all of you here on Rangmunch.

My coach also, a brutal man taught me never to give up. He would put us through three hours of practice in the morning, and three hours in the evening, make us play with boys, have multi-ball sessions to improve our concentration, stamina as a well as resistance! And after a tired session once we would be back home, our minds would still be working at what next we could do to better ourselves! Now when I think those were indeed the best days of my life!



There would be days when we would be dead tired, and Sir would say, you are not bleeding yet, so go on! Back then it sounded so brutal I would make up my mind not to go for the next session, but something inside would automatically pull me back into the sport! No matter how much I would try, nothing else would fill up my mind. Backsides of exam papers would have drawings of a Table-Tennis table, and I would plan strategies as to how I would play. The tension of going for a tournament would make me finish my exam paper one hour in advance.

And then came my first tournament, where I was competing for the first time with a set of people I had never faced, gave me jitters. But reaching semi-finals in that very tournament gave me an all new spirit. I never wanted to look back after that. I wanted to win at any cost no matter what. And I did ensure I didn't rest until I did win the title I was striving towards. 



Last night Sia made me nostalgic and took me down the memory lane. I was also at one point in time the only girl in my stadium playing with a bunch of boys. It was not until summer camps that we there would be other girls who would come and go. I was in fact treated specially because I was the only girl. I would always get to play on one side while the others would take turns and change. I would be made the group leader once in a while and eventually when the tournaments happened, I would also get to lead! All of that was an experience I will hold dear to my heart always!



There were of course other girls, but our coach insisted on us playing with the boys! But the one moment of the day we all looked forward to was the time when we got to play with our Coach as the aim would be to defeat him, since that was the Challenge he had posed in front of all of us.

Sia's never say die spirit makes me relate to her. It makes me want to take up the sport that I gave up for studies again! It makes me feel for her, and it makes me want to watch her learn, practice, grow eventually and win! I cried last night, because I saw this, and smiled at the irony that I never cried when I lost my matches since I always knew I was yet to give my best! The only time I cried was when I lost a winning match and that jolted me never to make the mistake again. 

This is also one of the reasons why I totally enjoy the sports backed episodes! Sia has a long way to go, and I am sure the way they have sketched her she will make a mark for herself. But I am certainly also looking forward to seeing her sweat it out and yes if it helps keep Raghav out of focus for a while! LOL!

Shows such as this, should also encourage young sports persons by motivating them and giving them lessons of never say die! In a hard competitive world today where there is too much pressure on a child, a very motivational approach to sports and other activity would surely be encouraging!

Note: This is a personal account of the writer. We welcome more such stories on how a show, an incident or a situation on screen has effected your real life. We will be more than happy to publish it.

Niharika Vidya Sagar
Rangmunch.TV

No comments:

Post a Comment